Monday, August 19, 2013

8 Concussions Later

8 Concussions Later
With all the talk, and rightly so, about concussions in youth sports I thought I would relate my experience to you. At the ripe old age of 12 I got my first concussion.   I got blindsided on a hit at a hockey school in Canada.
The next one happened when I was a freshman in high school. A great big defenseman nailed me at the top of the faceoff circle and rode on top of me into the end boards smacking my neck, back, and head into the wall.
While returning an interception in my sophomore year at high school playing football I was blindsided by an offensive lineman near the sidelines, knocked me clear out of bounds.
The fourth one happened in a men’s league game after high school. I was picked to play against a semi pro team with a bunch of older guys from this league. I scored a goal against the other team and as I raised my arms to celebrate I got clocked, head first into the end boards.
The fifth one happened in a softball tournament. I was coming home to score a run while watching the play behind me and the catcher raised his elbow and blindsided me.
Number six was a doosy.  I was skating in on goal with a breakaway when a guy came from behind and took his stick and hooked me in the face cutting me in two places. I fell to the ice and smacked the back of my head on the ice
The last two happened within a week of each other while I was at college. The first on came as I received a buddy pass and the defenseman, who was trying to make the team, hit me so hard I was out cold. The last one happened when I was at the boards on the blue line. A player came from behind and hit me head first into the boards. He hit me so hard it cracked my helmet
After this last one I was called into the coaches’ office before the next practice and sent to the hospital. I had arrived at college with 20/10 vision. When I got tested at the time of last two concussions, I had 200/300. I did not sleep for five days in a row, the headaches were so bad.
When I was discharged I was unable to drive for six months. It took that long for my balance and vision to return to normal. To this day, if I read a book for more than an hour the words will separate and I get double vision and wicked headaches. Pretty ironic for an author,huh?
The next story I want to relate to you happened three Christmas’s ago, over 25 years after my last concussion.  My wonderful wife bought blueberry candy canes to decorate the Christmas tree. When I arrived home from a speaking engagement I was immediately struck by the smell of the candy canes. Then it happened. The headache came on almost instantaneously. My vision started to blur and my words got slurry as I tried to explain to my wife what was happening. Then I pretty much lost my ability to see and to speak. (The latter one probably would make some people happy.)
My wife guided me upstairs to the guest room. She closed the blinds, put a hand towel over eyes, and opened a window just a crack, and went downstairs. She proceeded to throw out the candy canes and turned the heat up to get the smell out of the house. Four hours later I returned to normal, well, for me anyway.
As I am getting older the symptoms seem to be coming on more frequent. I will get headaches easily, sometimes I forget what I’m saying in the middle of a sentence, and other times I will lose concentration and just drift off. My ability to speak will be inhibited, and I will get dizzy.
Maybe that explains why I am like this? Did you really think (or care) that I got like this normally? Don’t feel sorry for me please. I have led a great life. I have done so many things and am so fortunate to have the friends and family around me. I will keep you up to date on my journey.
Oh, there is one good thing about all these concussion. My wife is 10 years younger than me and very pretty. (I know, go figure) But as my memory slips and fades maybe I will start to think that I have met a really cute girl, on a continuous basis! What a lucky guy!
And yes, I know some people may be offended by me making jokes, but it is how I cope. Besides, there is nothing I can do about the concussions for myself, but I can and do educate as many people as possible about this very serious health issue.
Ya get lemons, make lemonade.


No comments:

Post a Comment