Monday, December 16, 2013

Stop Telling Us What We Want, We Can Speak for Ourselves Part 2

You really want to get a point across to your players? Get really quiet. They have to lean in if they want to hear you, and if you are the type of person that is always loud enough to be heard over the roar of a playing arena, show them that this point is important enough to warrant a drastic, yet logical and calm, change in your behavior. You want to let them know you are upset? Show them you are disappointed. It is one of the worst feelings ever to know that someone you trust and that trusts you is disappointed in you. The guilt alone should do your work for you, without needing to lose your voice at the end of a practice or game.
I wanted to go to soccer practice, which was only two or three times a week, because I was surrounded by people who praised me when I did something right, helped me correct what was wrong, made me laugh, and made me feel like I was an integral part of a team. I didn’t want to play for my high school team because the coach believed in little more than winning, and building a team community was NOT on her priority list. I didn’t want to play for a coach who wouldn’t play her players based on performance, but rather the place she believed they deserved based on their talent. This is a type of entitlement, one that “old-school” coaches believe in so they can stop the ridiculous “embarrassment” they think follows poor playing or lack of talent.
Most kids join a team at a young age because they want to have a good time with their friends and because they want to feel like they belong somewhere. An “old-school” coach takes both of those things away from the child, and so they quit, rightly so, to find other avenues that will give them those feelings.
Another argument she makes is that people in the real world will not boost her kids’ egos, so if they get used to it early, they will know how to deal with it. Another load of crap. Yes, my parents and my coaches told me when I wasn’t doing my best, and yes, not everyone in the real world has the opinion of me that my parents do. But by not yelling at me and being derogative, they taught me how to examine their point of view, find the truth in it, and apply it to my life. If I had an “old-school” coach, I would be filled with anger and resentment, and every time someone tried to tell me what I did wrong, that anger would be brought back, blinding me to the truth in their words.
Being scared of parents who pamper their kids instead of subjecting them to these awful coaches and allows them to get fat off that pampering is a bit extreme, but understandable. However, I would argue that, because you are against one extreme, the other is better? Not wanting to be a hover craft and a military tank type of parent, destroying all opposition and negativity that could touch their child before it happens, is also understandable. My parents didn’t want to let anything bad happen to me, but they let me fall when I was a child and make mistakes because they knew they could fix it if I couldn’t figure out how. But they had the patience, trust, and belief in me to let me try.


I am a former club swimmer, as well as a youth hockey and little league baseball player, and the product of six years of travel soccer. I never played for my high school team, preferring my travel soccer team, and I do not play for my college.

No comments:

Post a Comment