Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A different way to coach

A different way to coach
I was asked, after a talk I gave at a college to a Sport coaching class, by a student from the class I was speaking at, about playing time. He wanted to know if he played well, worked hard, shouldn’t he play all the time.
During the class I had asked him if he would still practice hard on his college team if he didn’t get to play in any of the six games. He said he would. I wouldn’t. I’d be upset. But he hung around after class was over and walked with the teacher and me to the cafeteria.
 I asked him to push against my shoulder for 15 seconds. I then asked him to stop for 15 seconds. I then asked him to start again. He could feel the difference when he pushed the second time.
You see in game, when you play all the time, you start to pace yourself. Sometimes, you get tired and just need a break. Sure your personal stats might suffer, but you and the team will be better for it.
I then asked him when he next played a pickup game to remove himself from the game and ask another player who didn’t get to play much to take his place. Put your arm around him and give him a little encouragement and tell him to go out and have some fun.
Here is what will happen. The new kid will play better. He will try harder and the competition in the game will pick up for everybody. Everybody will start to “pick up” their game and play better.
Since you were the one that started this, other players will look to you as a leader without having to address them directly.
You will come back into the game later and you will feel better, and will play better. The guy who went in for you will now be playing better, and will push others. This will increase inter team completion the, very essence of development and improvement.

He smiled, turned to he is teacher and said:” I really like this guy.” And left.

No comments:

Post a Comment