Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Long Term Sub Part 2

This school had adopted block scheduling for their classes on certain days. What this means is the children would have a double session, or two classes of the same class in a row. I noticed that the kids were having a hard time staying focused during the entire hour and fifteen minutes of class.
I called the teacher up and asked her if I could introduce a new concept in class. It’s called “Simon Sez.” She loved it! I believed that the more active the children in the classroom the better they could engage their minds, and thus would be more attentive to learn.
 With all the testing going on even in Physical education class, I thought lets go a different route. I modeled the game for them. I “explained that they would have to earn this “play time.” We did a couple of sessions and immediately the kids were engaged. After a couple of times with me leading it, I asked if anyone would like to try it. Many hands went up in the class.
The kids then took over with me sitting in the back of the class. Some kids took to it quickly. Others struggled, but got the gist of it and learned how to lead. Other kids didn’t want to do it, but once they saw they wouldn’t get mocked and it was all about fun and positive reinforcement (with some competition thrown in for good measure) the paradigm took off. They would correct each other and referee. I would interject if the conflict interrupted the flow, and that only took place a couple of times.
Then it was back to work. Even before we played though, I saw the kids more eager to participate and learn. I certainly could not match my friend’s expertise in Biology, but I could get them excited and interested in learning
I even brought in my daughter to teach two classes. She was a senior in High school and an AP Biology student. As I sat in the back of the class watching her teach I was so proud of her and the class. They worked together. It was awesome.
I was there every day at 7 AM and stayed after school until 330 most every day. If any of the kids wanted to come in to study or get some extra help, I wanted to be there for them
 One of the kids hooked up the computer to the smart board and overhead projector and these kids got a taste of old time music, the blues. A long time ago I was a DJ and wrote songs for a band and helped them get some gigs. I played a lot of classic rock, 60’s, 70’s, and 80s music also. We had fun.
When my six weeks were over, and I can’t thank these two ladies enough for all they did for me and the kids, the teacher sent me an email; Most of the kids had done better grade wise. They improved.
Now I don’t proclaim to be anywhere as good a teacher as she is. She is great, on many levels. But what I did do was create an environment where the kids could be creative and learn by being involved and interacting.
If something is really true, it should be true for all things. Learning in the classroom, the playing field or in life happens more often when everyone is engaged and has the freedom to try, fail, create, share, and learn as a community.


No comments:

Post a Comment