Sunday, October 5, 2014

An open letter to the youth and high school sports world Part II

But we are not here to copy, imitate, or even try to better what has already been done. I doubt I would have come up with this paradigm and put it into practice coaching over the last 30 years in the youth, high school, and college level if I had accepted the status quo from the beginning.
 I can certainly see where people have their doubts about us, and our programs. They just don’t see what we are doing clearly, because it has always been done this way for them, to them, and with them, over the last 30 years. In reality this time in their exposure to youth and high school sports is only a micro second or a nano second in the history of the world.
 People seem to be having more doubts about their own journey and goals while participating in youth and high school sports than they used to. That is why they have so much angst and resist change all at the same time.
 But there is a growing undercurrent and sentiment amongst players, coaches, parents, and organizations, that this paradigm is flawed and there has to be a better way. We have a different model and I have been successful with it in business, with my family, my personal life, teaching in the classroom, and with coaching. Let me be clear here, I have made a tremendous amount of mistakes along the way. I drank lots of “Kool-aid.” What I have learned, I try and share. It’s about the journey and balanced excellence, not immediacy and specialization. Show the kids how much fun an activity can be and they will beat a path to your door.
Whether it be the guy sitting on his front porch inventing the blues, the Cotton Gin, Herb Brooks putting a team together different than has been done before, or Bill Gates going into a garage with an idea, snowboarding, the internet, Columbus sailing to a new world, true societal change has come through visionaries willing to accept the risks involved with going against accepted principles, because it was clear to them time had come for a change. Someone next to them, above them, or beside them who just happened to come along at just the right time and said, we believe, we have faith in you and trust that this is the new way. They had faith. Their approach and ours too embraces risk, freedom, and reward.
 Now I am not saying I am like them, they are legendary. But there is a parallel. There is a familiar concept we share. This way is not working. Let’s look at an entirely different way to do things.
Our paradigm can be summed up with this example. No one knows how to win a game in sports and we can prove it. Yet, we as society anoint winners and therefore losers all the time while not knowing how to win, how to teach it, and what winning really means to those who watch, coach and play sports. That is a recipe for an emotional firecracker. That is why we believe in staying in the moment, being a great teammate, equal play for children under 12,play by performance for the older kids,  sportsmanship, and life skills, balanced with multiple activities and academics,
The fee I charge doesn’t cover the cost of what I do, but it’s not why I do it. It’s the next door it opens, the next idea it puts in my brain, the next person I see get it. Real payment comes in the joy on the children’s faces when they are given the freedom to fail and succeed in a safe positive environment. That’s what drives me.
 Children learn from internal realization not external force.  My mentor has said it’s going to take five years for our paradigm to be an overnight success. We will see. People, who have doubted our program he says, will jump on the bandwagon when it starts to roll. I certainly hope so.
Our mission is based on a holistic organic approach to children’s long term physical and mental well being. Short term always has a cost. I am continually asking people who resist our paradigm, “What is it you are defending?” If you are so unhappy with this journey why not try something different? It’s not our goal to decide when, how, or even if the light goes on. Our job is to just keep flipping the switch.
You see, I am just the messenger the truth was already there.


No comments:

Post a Comment