Sunday, October 12, 2014

Simon Says Long term Sub Part I

Simon Says: Long Term Sub
Last spring a very good friend of mine had to go into the hospital for surgery. She was going to be out for six weeks. She is a fantastic seventh grade Biology teacher. I was very pleased when she asked me to teach her class while she was away.
  When both the teacher and the student learn at the same time, that is when true creative education happens, and I knew this would be the case in this classroom with these students.
 My major degree is in History, with minor degrees in Philosophy and Psychology, as well as a Masters in Education. I have always believed that if you can teach, you can teach basic fundamentals, and the joy of learning. When that environment exists, you can teach just about anything.
 (The same holds true for coaching.) Nurturing this desire to learn in children is an art. Or as my late great father used to say:  "teach them the yearn to learn."
I wanted to engage them in the process, and test their ability and desire to improve, without them knowing it. How could I get them to enjoy thinking and learning without knowing that was what I was going to teach them?
So, I devised a plan.
The first thing I wrote on the board was: “It’s all about the journey.” I left that up on the board the whole six weeks and we ALL referred to it often. Underneath it I wrote “Trust.” I wanted to earn their trust. Trust is reciprocal. Respect might come, but trust is essential for growth, community, and compassion. Underneath that:  "Be positive." It’s easy to go negative.

Cursive writing is not a big thing with children these days so I thought I would have them each sign their study “packets” with their opposite writing hand. They added one letter each time they were in my class to the first letter of their name. It showed them their progression each time they added a letter, and then finally when they wrote their whole name.

No comments:

Post a Comment